Almost Dzogchen is designed to provide a Western Vajrayana Buddhist practicitioner view on what is happening out in my world. In no way should my views be considered those of someone who knows what I am talking about or should you consider me to know much about Dzogchen, Vajrayana Buddhism, or Buddhism at all. I am just slowly plodding along the path to Enlightenment.

Monday, April 30, 2007

Building a Community for Buddhists

I just read a wonderful statement on Buddhism that I think all us western practicitioners should consider. The comments were written in the article entitled “Forum: Diversity and Divisions in American Buddhism,” in the winter 2006 Issue of “Buddhadharma,” (page 55-56).

Writing on behalf of the magazine, the moderator writes:

“Traditionally, churches have provided a much broader array of services and methods of observance for people than many American Buddhist groups, which see themselves as meditation centers aimed at personal practice. Traditional churches, including many in the Buddhist world, offer rituals and rites of passage such as weddings and funerals; religious practices that range from silent reflection to singing, chanting, and movements; social events; and pastoral care, such as caring for the sick, elderly, and those in crisis. Have some Buddhists rejected religiosity and cultural practices to such an extent that they have cut themselves off from the fuller role that spirituality can play in people’s lives?”

I think this is a very important matter. It has caused me to consider what we do here in Salt Lake City at Dzogchen Samye Ling. After a long discussion with one of the other members of our Sangha, we have decided to start building a community that is found within more ‘traditional’ church organizations.

I think that there are many benefits to such activities including building a sense of belonging, helping members and others out in the community, and providing the ‘refuge of sangha’ as is part of the formal taking refuge.

I think it is time to starting building the community of sangha members and get out of the 100% ‘on my own program.’

Many Dharma Blessings,

Geoff