Almost Dzogchen is designed to provide a Western Vajrayana Buddhist practicitioner view on what is happening out in my world. In no way should my views be considered those of someone who knows what I am talking about or should you consider me to know much about Dzogchen, Vajrayana Buddhism, or Buddhism at all. I am just slowly plodding along the path to Enlightenment.

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Another Life? (Now?)

Recently I listened to a presentation on a relatively new internet based place to live called Second Life (secondlife.com). So what is all of this about? I got on the site earlier today to see what it was all about.

After creating a name and making a few choices you are given the opportunity to join in the internet world for free. As I understand it, you can set up businesses, buy and sell real estate, interact with others, and even sell products.

Before you are allowed to sign on, you are given information on the six violations, which can get you banned from this world. They are intolerance (of others based on race, religion, gender, etc), harassment , assault, disclosure (or namely the lack thereof), indecency, and disturbing the peace (my favorite). It kind of like the basic rules of this world.

I sometimes like to refer to our lives as one big 3-D interactive video game. It looks like we are getting closer and closer to creating such through the internet. Sure there are limitations. One must use an external computer and a keyboard to do things. The projections are presented on my computer screen and is a far cry away from truly wrapping completely around me.

I did not spend enough time on there to fully understand what was going on. However, I did search ‘places.’ I typed in “Buddhism” and found some amazing sites. There is a wonderful Medicine Buddha monastery and a Green Tara retreat center. One can enter the facilities, sit on cushions, capture thangka paintings for future viewing, and get teachings on some of the deities. The most wonderful part is that the creators offer everything for free. There is no charge on anything at the sites. Truly Buddhists!

Combine this entry into a retreat center with the possibility of obtaining recorded and even live teachings…..we end up up a virtual Buddhist retreat. Not too sure what to think about all of this….

I originally entered the Second Life site prepared to comment negatively about living on the internet. I ended up finding meaningful locations and considering the benefits in the future in transmitting the Buddha-Dharma.

It would actually be easy to speak negatively on this alternate “world.” I now realize that just like this life, we can choose beneficial sites and work or go hang out in the darkest and evil places we can imagine.

It is all in our hands – or actually our thinking.

Many Dharma Blessings,

Geoff