Almost Dzogchen is designed to provide a Western Vajrayana Buddhist practicitioner view on what is happening out in my world. In no way should my views be considered those of someone who knows what I am talking about or should you consider me to know much about Dzogchen, Vajrayana Buddhism, or Buddhism at all. I am just slowly plodding along the path to Enlightenment.

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

More Thoughts on Anger

Tonight I just went over to a good friend’s house. This friend is feeling upset about an unfortunate breakup. This friend is Buddhist. However, despite being Buddhist, my friend told me that it was actually beneficial to feel angry. It was GOOD for them to feel upset.

What?

Where had this come from and where did they learn this? My friend told me that they are quite certain that the Dali Lama gets angry - like, at the Chinese!

What?

I still contend that the Dali Lama does not feel anger towards the Chinese.

So I came home thinking about this support of Anger…again! At least for me, our Western thinking continues to think that there is some benefit and value to anger. I am confident in saying that there is no good from anger. None. Nada!

However, people just look at me like I am crazy. This thinking is contagious. It is so entrenched in our society and education system that I realize I do not have the ability to even persuade a single person that they just might be mistaken.

I would like sign out of this angry society. I will be happy to retreat into my isolated meditation cave and let everyone, at least for the time being, get angry and hate each other. I am not interested in joining in.

After I have hopefully come to some level of stability to not be affect by such anger, I promise to come out and try to help. But right now, I see lots of people that are thinking that it is good to get angry.

My next writing, which I am separating in order to avoid having a paper too long will talk on the Masters words on Anger. For those that might doubt that the “Anger is Good” Club is correct and might be looking for some support against anger, you might enjoy reading it.

However, if you are part of the Anger is Good Club (the AGC), I might suggest that you don’t bother to read the writing entitled Masters Consider Anger. I do not want to try to convince that you might be mistaken.

I am not sure that joining AGC is a good idea. I know that I am trying to get me off their recruitment list.

Many Dharma Blessings,

Geoff