Almost Dzogchen is designed to provide a Western Vajrayana Buddhist practicitioner view on what is happening out in my world. In no way should my views be considered those of someone who knows what I am talking about or should you consider me to know much about Dzogchen, Vajrayana Buddhism, or Buddhism at all. I am just slowly plodding along the path to Enlightenment.

Monday, October 10, 2005

Why do I practice?

It seems there are many different reasons why we come come Buddhism.

"I want peace of mind."
"I am looking for a spiritual practice without all the guilt trappings."
"I want to get out of this rat race"
"I need to better deal with [ ] in my life." (You fill in the blank)

There are many reasons. Ultimately, I feel the reason is the same for everyone...as for all people and all spiritual paths:

"I want happiness. I do not want suffering."

The teachings and practices of Buddhism are a very direct approach to this wish. In fact from the very first teaching of Shakyamuni Buddha, he taught the path to be free of suffering and the path to true happiness.

Eventually, with some practice we move to:

"I want YOU to be free from suffering. I want YOU to be happy."

We discover that the path to our own happiness is by directing our actions, words, and thoughts towards continually helping all sentients beings to be happy and to be free from suffering. First, though, we need to calm our own thinking some.

Recently, I recieved an email from someone interested in learning more about Buddhism. They had commented that they just wanted to be free of the negative emotions that they often experienced. They were not so concerned with becoming Enlightened.

Here is the secret. Enlightenment really means to become Fully Awake. Once we are fully awake, we are free of suffering and are completely available to help all sentient beings be free of suffering and for them to have happiness.

Becoming fully awake is to become free of suffering and to fully aid all sentient beings to be happy. So it is the truly best wish for yourself and others to Fully Awaken: Enlightenment is in fact your goal.

So, now back to the first question. Why Do I practice?

To help all sentient beings Awaken: For all beings to have complete and unchangeable happiness and be free from suffering.

And how is the best way for me to accomplish this?

For me to become fully awakened so that I am able to help all beings.

When is the best time for me to Practice? Every moment and every thought, all day!

(I still have a long way to go, mind you)

Many Dharma Blessings,

Geoff