Almost Dzogchen is designed to provide a Western Vajrayana Buddhist practicitioner view on what is happening out in my world. In no way should my views be considered those of someone who knows what I am talking about or should you consider me to know much about Dzogchen, Vajrayana Buddhism, or Buddhism at all. I am just slowly plodding along the path to Enlightenment.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Devotion to Your Teacher

Just a short reminder.

Under traditional teachings of Vajrayana Buddhism, there are three ways to honor your teacher:

The first, is by offering material goods such as gifts, clothing, airplanes, and money.

The second, and of greater value, is to offer assistance and help your teacher.

The greatest way to honor your teacher is the third way: Doing the practices he has taught you!

Here is the interesting part. The third is less likely to be known by others. It is also the one that requires the greatest acceptance of our teacher's advice.

I have watched many of us getting close to a teacher and then focusing our attention on giving goods, giving money, and offering help....but doing little or no practice.

Many Dharma Blessings,

Geoff