Almost Dzogchen is designed to provide a Western Vajrayana Buddhist practicitioner view on what is happening out in my world. In no way should my views be considered those of someone who knows what I am talking about or should you consider me to know much about Dzogchen, Vajrayana Buddhism, or Buddhism at all. I am just slowly plodding along the path to Enlightenment.

Thursday, February 23, 2006

A Wild World: What Can I Do?

I was recently given the Summer of 1993 issue of “Foreign Affairs” Journal. The lead article by Samuel P. Huntington entitled “The Clash of Civilizations.”

Huntington’s thesis is that future major conflicts will be based on clashes based cultures, religions, and societies. He continues to explain that these wars of civilizations are more significant because they are not based on political idealogy but rather deep-seated self-defining traits and characteristics.

The next issue of “Foreign Affairs” had a whole collection of articles by numerous important writers disputing Huntington’s position.

That was 1993. Its now 2006 and we are facing huge clashes of guess what? Yep civilizations! (Personally, I think that he is right)

So even if we do not participate in the negative actions ourselves, we still must live within the world filled with such violence. So what can we do?

Teachings from my teachers of Buddhism have spoken of this risk. In fact, one of the key Promises (Samaya) of Vajrayana Buddhism is to avoid disparaging other religions and religious practices. This should be extended to other’s cultures and traditions, as well.

Within the 37-Practices of a Bodhisattva (#13), Thogme Zangpo writes:

Although we are not guilty of any offence and never have harmed anyone in our life
If someone deluded should threaten to kill us because he is crazed with a tormented mind,
Then mercifully wishing for him not to suffer further misfortune because of his state,
Selflessly take on the effects of his actions - the Sons of the Buddhas all practise this way.

This speaks of us fully accepting their acts in order to avoid causing them to suffer.

When negative thinking does arise, I am reminded to remember that it is the way of a Bodhisattva to destroy our internal foe.

I may reduce the negative actions around the world, I may not. However, at the least I can avoid contributing with my own negative thinking, words, and acts.

Many Dharma Blessings,

Geoff