Almost Dzogchen is designed to provide a Western Vajrayana Buddhist practicitioner view on what is happening out in my world. In no way should my views be considered those of someone who knows what I am talking about or should you consider me to know much about Dzogchen, Vajrayana Buddhism, or Buddhism at all. I am just slowly plodding along the path to Enlightenment.

Monday, January 21, 2008

State Sponsored Killing

As a practicitioner of Buddhism, I vow to avoid killing. This not only applies to humans but also animals, insects, and all sentient beings (that which has a thinking mind). Since the the greater discussion of the promise is the not subject of this writing, I only want to emphasize that I realize that I cannot avoid all killing. For example, just mowing my lawn surely is killing some bugs within my yard. The purpose of a “promise” to avoid an action is done with the best effort possible given the circumstances. Just let this one sit for now.

The purpose of this writing is to bring up the matter of State sponsored killings – otherwise known as the death penalty. I had just come across a mention of a man who had been sentenced to death in Arkansas and been held in prison for over 12 years. The reference mentioned that the man had subsequently become Buddhist (Zen) .

Despite letters and requests from many people including a Zen Buddhist Roshi, the governor of Arkansas, a former Baptist priest, had not only refused to stop the killing but rather moved the date up some 6 weeks.

So I thought to myself! “Wow I wonder if this is the same guy who is now running for president of the United States under the Republican ticket, Mike Huckabee.”

Yup! Its him. Here is a wonderful write up on the whole situation as it played out for Jusan Fudo Sifu Frankie Parker as documented by his spiritual advisor Rev. Ven. Kobutsu Malone. (Incidently, I spent some time with Rev. Malone some years back while attending a Buddhism In America conference. He is doing amazing work with prisoners especially at Sing Sing in New York.)

http://www.engaged-zen.org/articles/Kobutsu-Death_Row_Practice.html

The ability of a person to condemn someone to death amazes me. It especially amazes me that someone who has allegedly been trained in teachings of Jesus Christ could ever find this acceptable. Here we have someone who was ordained as a priest – the Baptist Church. What is wrong with this picture, eh?

Now he is running for President. His strongest supporters call themselves Christians. I guess I am just confused where Jesus condoned killing. Upon looking up some information on the New Testament, I could find no support for such. (If you want some references which seem to indicate Jesus’ recorded statements, try Matthew 5:21-22, Matthew 5:39-39)

Clearly there are many references to the authority to kill in the Old Testament. I personally think that Christians would do well to dispose of the Old Testament and stick with the teachings of their guide, Jesus.

In the mean time, I think that ones official ordination within a church surely does not mean that they understand a spiritual life. I am far from a priest of a Christian church and even I know that someone with the love and compassion of Jesus Christ would never support killing. (By the way, Huckabee still supports State Sponsored killing saying that it is a necessary part of our criminal justice system).

Labels: