Almost Dzogchen is designed to provide a Western Vajrayana Buddhist practicitioner view on what is happening out in my world. In no way should my views be considered those of someone who knows what I am talking about or should you consider me to know much about Dzogchen, Vajrayana Buddhism, or Buddhism at all. I am just slowly plodding along the path to Enlightenment.

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

The Effect of Positive and Negative Thinking

I recently came across a wonderful metaphor which seems to have stayed within my thinking (not that it always stops the frantic or negative thoughts form arising but it helps stop them from growing)

This actually comes from a teaching of Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche on the "Heart Treasure of the Enlightened Ones by Paltrul Rinpoche."

Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche reminds us that one negative thought, statement, or action while very small can be like a spark in dry grasses of a forest. That one small spark can burn down the entire forest.

Further, he reminds us that our good thinking may be small but is like a drop of water into a bucket when combined with many other drops soon fills the entire bucket.

Many Dharma Blessings,

Geoff