Almost Dzogchen is designed to provide a Western Vajrayana Buddhist practicitioner view on what is happening out in my world. In no way should my views be considered those of someone who knows what I am talking about or should you consider me to know much about Dzogchen, Vajrayana Buddhism, or Buddhism at all. I am just slowly plodding along the path to Enlightenment.

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Teacher Verses Student

During a discussion with Lama Osel yesterday, I caught a glimpse of one reason why all great teachers see themselves as students of the Buddha-Dharma and not as a teacher.

I seems that if I have the attitude “I am a Teacher,” I would focus my attention on how I need to fix everybody and everything around me.

If I hold the attitude “I am just a student,” I will always focus my attention on how I need to correct myself in every situation.

Clearly, the second attitude is that of a Buddha-Dharma practicitioner.

Happy Guru Rinpoche Day!

Geoff