Almost Dzogchen is designed to provide a Western Vajrayana Buddhist practicitioner view on what is happening out in my world. In no way should my views be considered those of someone who knows what I am talking about or should you consider me to know much about Dzogchen, Vajrayana Buddhism, or Buddhism at all. I am just slowly plodding along the path to Enlightenment.

Thursday, October 27, 2005

49 Days After Dying

Especially within the Nyingma School of Vajrayana Buddhism, much has been written by the masters on Bardo Instructions for dying and death. There are many very good books on these teachings. I especially like the detailed explanations and background information contained in Francesca Fremantle's "Luminous Emptiness."

However, what came to my mind yesterday after the passing of Elvis, our neighbor cat to whom we were so close, is some oral teachings I had received. These instructions were directed to those of us who remain behind and were close to them.

According to our Nyingma and particularly Dzogchen teachings, after death there is a period of transistion. For as long as forty nine days, the deceased may remain in this transistional period. During this time, the deceased will experience may unusual dimensions, sights, and sounds.

Upon separation of their mind essence from the body, they often times are unaware of their own death. They retain a "mental" body and can spend long periods of time living and wandering within the environments that they are familiar.

What I asked of my family is to be aware that Elvis may not be aware of his own death. He could be still trying to spend his time exactly as he did when he was in his body. Obviously this is can be very confusing because everything is different for him.

What we can do, is to be comforting and understanding. Because of this, I keep out his water and food. I occasionally open the front door to welcome him in and will let him out. I will treat our home as if he is still somewhere in the house.

I want him to be comforted as he goes through whatever transistions he may require. I will do all of this quietly and not make a big deal of it. Afterall, I live here in the United States and there are many that would think that I had completely lost it. (Well maybe I have but I don't want everyone to know it).

After the death of someone close to you, you have the opportunity to provide comfort and assurance to them as they go through the transistion periods. Help as you can. Hold only good thoughts for them and send love and compassion. Send prayers for their swift transistion into the pure lands of luminous light.

Many Dharma Blessings,

Geoff