Almost Dzogchen is designed to provide a Western Vajrayana Buddhist practicitioner view on what is happening out in my world. In no way should my views be considered those of someone who knows what I am talking about or should you consider me to know much about Dzogchen, Vajrayana Buddhism, or Buddhism at all. I am just slowly plodding along the path to Enlightenment.

Saturday, October 29, 2005

The Benefits of Anger?

While I was waiting to have tires installed on my car today, I picked up a copy of "Ladies Home Journal." (I picked it up because there was an interview with former US President Bill Clinton. By the way, if we are going to change the rules of Presidency to allow Arnold to run, can we also change the rule to allow someone to serve a 3rd term?)

An article on Anger also appeared in the issue. I wanted to see what Ladies Journal would like to say on the subject. One of the points made in the article was that anger, when handled calmly, is good. Hmm! Anger is Good? Read on.

It seems that the western psychology world is confusing us with what some of them are saying. Anger is so much a part of our society, that I feel rather than discouraging anger they like to talk about "good anger vs bad anger."

On one hand the article talks about the dangers of anger. The article mentions the relationship between anger and our mental and physical health now being regularly studied and documented. Wonderful! Then later the article quotes a psychologist discussing how anger can be used to effectively as a call to action.

In Buddhism, anger and hatred are the most harmful pf the 5 negative emotions (desire, anger/hatred, ignorance, jealousy, and pride). A call to action is based on awareness. Anger is the negative emotion arising FROM not getting what we want or getting what we don't want. Seeing that something is not correct or needs changing is not anger. It is simply awareness of a situation. Granted, this is a subtle difference but extremely important to us. I can change something without ever feeling angry. This is certain.

Awareness + Acting on it = good.
Anger = not good
Anger + Acting on it = "super" not good!


The article concludes with some recommendations on allowing yourself to calm down, write down suggestions, and than present these to the other party. From our View, this psychologist is not talking about acting out of anger. He was talking about acting on the situation/circumstances which resulted in our anger arising. These are two very different situations and two very different states of mind.

It confused anger with awareness. The risk is that we end up in a society which encourages and supports anger instead of trying to eliminate it.

For me, I feel that this kind of discussion is very misleading. It is very easy to have readers walk away saying, "I read an article that said that anger is good for you." For me it is very easy for someone to conclude that anger is okay.

Elimination of anger does not mean that we stop taking action against injustice or wrongs. It does means that we avoid anger when we can. If anger arises, then do not take action when you are angry. It is not a call to be passive but to be aware and act with full awareness of the consequences of our actions.

So what are the benefits of anger?

To borrow the teaching of a past great master. "The only thing good about negative actions and emotions (in this case anger) is that they can be purified."

Maybe I will write on some of the methods of purification taught by my teachers tomorrow.

For today, I would just like someone reading this to know that anger is a negative emotion and has no place our awakened mind.

Many Dharma Blessings,

Geoff