Almost Dzogchen is designed to provide a Western Vajrayana Buddhist practicitioner view on what is happening out in my world. In no way should my views be considered those of someone who knows what I am talking about or should you consider me to know much about Dzogchen, Vajrayana Buddhism, or Buddhism at all. I am just slowly plodding along the path to Enlightenment.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

If In Doubt; ASK!

Question and Answer Time

Maybe I have already mentioned this before. Maybe I have not. However, I just came a brief note in my Dharma Text that said “Remember Question and Answer to Remove Doubts.”

So I figured, this would be a great time to remind myself (and anyone who cared to read) about the importance of Q&A during teachings.

First a little background: I have had many wonderful Vajrayana teachers pass through our home. Many great teachings have blessed us here. Generally, those in attendance are extremely polite. Upon the completion of the teachings, most teachers will open up to questions. Most of the time there is silence!

No one has any questions? Nothing? Everything was perfectly clear? Everyone understand everything? No doubts, no confusion, no uncertainty?

Many of the Tibetan Teachers are not sure what to think of the lack of questions.

Following my teacher Khenpo Choga Rinpoche’s words on the subject, I like to remind those in attendance of the importance and significance of the question and answer period of a teaching.

For me the teaching begins with calming our body, speech and mind. We then follow this with setting our aspiration to listen and learn for the benefit of all sentient beings. We then listen to the Dharma talk. This is followed with an opportunity to ask questions. The teachings conclude with a dedication of merit to all sentient beings. This is the short list of the steps involved in a teaching.

Once the talk is completed, we should reflect on what has been said and determine what questions arise in our thinking.

It is extremely important that we ask any questions that have arisen related to the teachings. The questions can be to seek clarification. They can be to question the accuracy. They can be to express doubt that what has been said is true. This is absolutely the time to raise any and all doubts. This is not considered disrespectful. In fact, if you have sincere doubt, it is respectful to express these doubts so that they can removed.

Based on my experience, when the teachers say that they can eliminate all doubt and remove all confusion to the teachings, they mean it. However, you must ask!! Do not expect the teacher to read your mind and uncover your questions and doubts.

I have never seen a Tibetan teacher get upset or offended as the result of a question about the teachings. (I have seen them scold a student for asking a question that had nothing to do with the teachings or for asking an “academic” question.)

It is clear when someone asks a question if they really seek advice. Further, it also seems obvious when someone asks a question to look or sound important. Trust me, at least with Khenpo Choga Rinpoche, don’t bother to ask these kind of questions. You will not get the response you expected and he will likely turn the question back on you.

Oh! One last thing, if you ever come across a teacher that discourages you from raising doubts, who discourages questioning what has been taught, or belittles someone who asks such questions…..BEWARE! It is likely that you are not in the presence of an authentic teacher. Run as fast and as far away as you can!

So keep asking your question and raising your doubts. Trust me, the teachers can handle it!

Many Dharma Blessings,

Geoff