Almost Dzogchen is designed to provide a Western Vajrayana Buddhist practicitioner view on what is happening out in my world. In no way should my views be considered those of someone who knows what I am talking about or should you consider me to know much about Dzogchen, Vajrayana Buddhism, or Buddhism at all. I am just slowly plodding along the path to Enlightenment.

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Examining Our Own Faults

I have recently reviewed teachings on 37-Practices of a Bodhisattva and found myself stuck on the Stanza in which Gyalse Togme reminds us to focus our attention on our own faults.

Stanza 31 of the 37-Practices of a Bodhisattva says:

Without making efforts to clearly analyze delusions we have and mistakes we commit,
We still may perform many non-Dharmic deeds even though outwardly practicing the Dharma,
For this reason, examine your mistakes and delusions, the faults we possess,
Then afterwards remove them completely-
Bodhisattvas all practice this way.

It’s a very concise teaching on where to focus our attention. As a practicitioner, I must continually remind myself to direct my attention to my own faults.

I may have the appearance of a Dharma practicitioner even fooling myself. I may remember advice of my teachers. I may recite practices, I may recall the words of teachings, however, if I fail to clearly analyze my delusions, faults, and mistakes; I am really just a false practicitioner.

Khenpo Choga Rinpoche says the essence of the teachings are to watch our thinking. Maintain positive thinking. Simply stated positive thinking can be summarized into the following five positive thinkings: Renunciation, Compassion, Faith, Loving-Kindness, and Wisdom.

The great and auspicious Padmasambhava had said “Though my View is as wide as all the Universe, My actions are as fine as powder [sand].”

Everywhere that I look, the essence of Buddhist practices is right in front of me. Watch our thinking and our minds above everything else. Each moment is a moment to be aware of our thinking, our words, and our actions.

Maybe once we have established some stabilization in our thinking, negative thinking, words, and actions disappear, however, it is not for my concern at this time. I have no stabilization and no realization ….just lots of delusions and mistakes to correct.

During a teaching this weekend from Khenpo Choga Rinpoche, he told us that when faced with others causing problems, we must first decide if we can help without loosing our own positive thinking. If taking action results in negative thinking in us, then it is better to do nothing. Because we can be of no true help if we have negative thinking.

For the last few days, I have been more aware of my thinking. Checking as emotions arise. I am reminded that I am of no help to others if my thinking is not positive and pure. I just continue to go back to checking my own delusions and mistakes.

Many Dharma Blessings,

Geoff