Almost Dzogchen is designed to provide a Western Vajrayana Buddhist practicitioner view on what is happening out in my world. In no way should my views be considered those of someone who knows what I am talking about or should you consider me to know much about Dzogchen, Vajrayana Buddhism, or Buddhism at all. I am just slowly plodding along the path to Enlightenment.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Monasteries, Universities, and Retreats

While it does not seem to be a common discussion within the Tibetan Buddhist community, there seems to be three primary different systems of study found within Tibetan Buddhism. There is the Monastery System, the University System, and the Retreat System.

Under the monastery system, a member becomes a monk, or an ani in the case of a woman. Training includes linguistics, rituals, art, monastery care, and eventually Tantric practices.

Within the university system, the structure of study is focused on academic analysis and understanding. Students begin with Pratimoksha, move on to Madhyamika and Prajnaparamita, and complete with the secret Tantras and practices.

Finally under the retreat system, the methods progress from outer preliminary practice of Ngondro, move on to various Tantric practices, and complete with esoteric Tantric practices of Atiyoga.

I think that it is a wonderful structure to provide a path for different constituencies and personal capabilities.

One of the matters of which I feel we should be aware, is that the form of teaching from a teacher could significantly differ depending on where the teacher’s primary source of study comes from.

A monastic teacher is going to emphasize structure and rituals associated with a practice. A university teacher is going to work with the philosophical methods and Views. A Retreat teacher is going to emphasize personal experience and realization.

I have received teachings from all three kinds of teachers. Each can absolutely take you along the path, they just have very different approaches. Rather than shutting out the value of a given teacher, be aware that the teacher may be approaching teachings from a different perspective depending on their background.

I am not big on rituals, so I have a personal aversion to the rules and regulation forms of Buddhism. I am susceptible to the intellectual analysis, so I am drawn to the university approaches. However, my own personal path is definitely most in-tune to the yogis of retreat practice. When I read biographies of lineage holders, I find myself most intrigued with the yogis who on the surface lived seemingly average lives or wandered as homeless beggars.

The most important point here is to be aware of your own path and follow that which works for you. Just make sure that who ever you follow is an authentic lineage holder. This is easiest when a teacher has completed studies through the monasteries and universities. Its somewhat more difficult when the teacher is from a retreat/yogic method.