Almost Dzogchen is designed to provide a Western Vajrayana Buddhist practicitioner view on what is happening out in my world. In no way should my views be considered those of someone who knows what I am talking about or should you consider me to know much about Dzogchen, Vajrayana Buddhism, or Buddhism at all. I am just slowly plodding along the path to Enlightenment.

Monday, December 12, 2005

Happy Holidays To All!

Today on our local public radio program, they had an hour about the controversy about whether one should say “Happy Holidays” or say “Merry Christmas.”

Hmm! Why is this an issue, I thought? As I listened to the program, I learned that there is apparently some backlash for being politically correct in saying “Happy Holidays!” It seems that some followers of Christianity find this offensive to them because the Holiday Season for them is all about celebrating the Birth of Jesus Christ.

It seems to me that that wishing well in a greetings should you be directed to the celebrations of the one we are greeting. If I am greeting someone that is Jewish around Hanukah, I will say “Happy Hanukah.”

When it is close to the Tibetan New Year (which is a time for celebration for Tibetans) I say “Happy Losar.”

If I am uncertain of someone’s religious practices, I think that “Happy Holidays” is very appropriate and courteous. I am not assuming anything except that they recognize that for all of us in the United States, we can consider the break in the normal schedule as holidays.

Tolerance is something we use a little more of.

Happy Holidays!

Geoff