Almost Dzogchen is designed to provide a Western Vajrayana Buddhist practicitioner view on what is happening out in my world. In no way should my views be considered those of someone who knows what I am talking about or should you consider me to know much about Dzogchen, Vajrayana Buddhism, or Buddhism at all. I am just slowly plodding along the path to Enlightenment.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Authentic Guides and Our Daily Practice

We just had the wonderful gift of having a great Lama stay with us for over two weeks. One of the best discussion I had with him addressed teachers, especially teachers available to us here in the West.

The conclusion: Watch out! Most of those who travel to the West are not what they claim. Most add lots of titles and designations to their resume when they pass through customs.

I have had the opportunity to meet some great masters including Chatral Rinpoche at his retreat home in Nepal. I know that there is a marketable difference in the pace and presence of someone with this level of practice and wisdom. Despite meeting such a great master, I am not going to trust my own judgement when it comes to the authenticity or qualities of a teacher.

Lama-la emphasized the importance of practice over getting more and more teachings. So for now, I shall continue my daily practice.

By the way, we are experiencing a solar eclipse today (March 29, 2006) so the karmic effects of all our thoughts, words, and deeds are multiplied 100,000 times. Best to do good and practice.

Many Dharma Blessings,

Geoff