Almost Dzogchen is designed to provide a Western Vajrayana Buddhist practicitioner view on what is happening out in my world. In no way should my views be considered those of someone who knows what I am talking about or should you consider me to know much about Dzogchen, Vajrayana Buddhism, or Buddhism at all. I am just slowly plodding along the path to Enlightenment.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Tibetan Calendar Available for Download

Recently I received this wonderful Tibetan Calendar Program. It works great and provides great information on each day for daily practices, Duchens (the four especially auspicious days of the year), dakini days, dharmapala days, etc.

Download from here and follow the simple instructions. I is very simple to load and access: http://members.toast.net/overbeck/tib_down.html

The Tibetan calendar is a lunar calendar. Every Tibetan month there are special practices days for particular practices including, dharmapala day, dakini day, Guru Rinpoche day, Medicine Buddha Day, etc. Additionally, each full and new moon are considered special practice days. On top of this we have the annual anniversaries of special days including birth of Buddha, birth of Guru Rinpoche, etc.

All of these days are normally difficult to track since they are all tracked on a lunar calendar. Even calendars sold here in the United States with Tibetan photos or sacred paintings (thangkas) fail to list even the most sacred Tibetan anniversaries. My guess is that calendar making companies use the exact same calendars with exactly the same information regardless of what the photos are. Some day, someone should make a Tibetan Calendar with the nice photos that contains information for us practicitioners (Anyone want to help me put this together?)...Until then we can buy or little pocket calendar from Rigpa or use the computer version that I have linked here.

Hope you find this helpful. Oh by the way, if you are a Vajrayana Practicitioner, please note the significance of this Sunday, June 11, 2006. It is Saga Dawa Duchen. I will write some on this sacred day before Sunday.

Many Dharma Blessings,

Geoff

Geoff