Almost Dzogchen is designed to provide a Western Vajrayana Buddhist practicitioner view on what is happening out in my world. In no way should my views be considered those of someone who knows what I am talking about or should you consider me to know much about Dzogchen, Vajrayana Buddhism, or Buddhism at all. I am just slowly plodding along the path to Enlightenment.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Seeing Everything as Naturally Perfect

Within Vajrayana Buddhism, there are many interim steps to gaining confidence, knowledge and wisdom. They have been constructed by great masters and great centers of Buddhist learning in order to aid us in the development of the Ultimate View.

From what I have been told, it is within the Nyingma – Dzogchen Lineage that the masters provide a glimpse of this ultimate view. Not that we are prepared or capable of maintaining the view, but we are given a glimpse of the result.

Part of this View is to see everything as Perfect – to see the natural purity and perfection of all appearances. Within the Buddha Path Practice we find this View expounded in many places. Within the Concluding Practices, under the Thirteen Sign of a True Practicitioner we recite:

I will think of all situations positively
I will perceive all appearances purely
I will live my daily life joyfully

Rather than beating ourselves up for falling from this View, I try to recall these words often during the day. Combined with a one-minute meditation of letting everything be exactly how it is, I try to return to the spacious and open thinking mind.

Sometimes it remains for a while. Sometimes is vanishes with the next daily challenge. I still work to bring my mind back to this spacious mind and relaxed, pure, clear, and free.

Many Dharma Blessings,

Geoff